The Jackson County Public Shoot Range is located approximately 4 miles east of town at the intersection of County Road 12E and County Road 19. The range is county owned and maintained. It has public access, covered shooting benches and is available 7 days a week with no fees.
Targets are maintained at 25, 50, 100, 200, and 500 yards. The facilities are appropriate for: archery, shotgun, small bore .22, high powered rifle, and handguns.
For more information, please contact the Jackson County Administrator’s office at 970-723-4660.
General Range Safety Rules
1. Always treat all firearms as if they are loaded.
2. Always keep firearms pointed in a safe direction. This means a direction where an unintentional discharge will cause NO HUMAN
INJURY and at most minor property damage.
3. Always keep your finger off the trigger and outside the trigger guard until ready to shoot.
4. Always be sure of your target, backstop and beyond.
5. Always keep your gun unloaded until you are at the firing line and the range is declared "HOT." Firearms must be safe (unloaded - magazines removed and actions opened) when entering or exiting the range.
6. Cease Firing: Immediately stop shooting when anyone calls "Cease firing."
7. COLD Range: Shooters must check with others to ensure firearms are unloaded, actions open and firearms laid down on the shooting bench before going down range. No one is permitted to handle firearms or stand at the firing line while there is a cold range.
8. HOT Range: Shooters must check with others to ensure there is no one down range; when the range is declared "HOT" shooters are permitted to commence firing. Only shooters are permitted on the firing line. Shooters may move safe guns to and from the firing line only when the range is "HOT."
9. All shooters are responsible for their rounds staying within the confines of this range. Shooters may shoot only from the firing line at the target in line with their position. Shooting at items placed on the ground or at targets not posted at the appropriate height on the target frame enables rounds to escape the range.
10. Respect the Range: Please place your trash into the trash receptacles and your spent brass into the recycling receptacles. Tracer, armor piercing and incendiary ammunition is prohibited.
11. Respect the Range: Please do not shoot ANYTHING other than designated targets. Please do not shoot glass, appliances, metal or other trash type items.
12. Respect Yourself: Wear eye and ear protection.
13. Respect Others: Be courteous and share the area if others are waiting to use the range.